Friday, January 18, 2008

MAN BLOG!!

LADIES YOU ARE ALL BUSTED!!!. I am onto your secret little blog world and I think it is about time to inject a little testosterone. Thus, THE MAN BLOG!!! It is my intention to add some manly posts every now and then, as my way of keeping tabs on your blogging activities, while still exuding massive amounts on manliness.

Man Blog #1 has been inspired by my recent construction of our storage shed. Our home here in Texas does not have adequate storage space. As a result, the garage (AKA my Man Space) was exceedingly cluttered. I could only think of two ways to add some storage space. I could either finish some of our attic, or build a storage shed. After many a Man trip to Lowe's I decided to build a shed. I did not want one of those flimsy metal ones or a plastic piece of junk, instead I went straight for a Mike Neilson original design. We are talking about a 10 x 12 foot little piece of Man Heaven complete with vaulted ceilings, custom lighting, full size door and carpet with padding. Oh yeah this is one for the MAN BLOG.
This project started with probably the most painful part. I had to re-route some sprinkler lines which meant digging about 45 feet of trench by hand. Now some of you may be rolling your eyes at this seemingly easy task, but let me educate you on the soil, or lack thereof in this area. You see, in my back yard there is approximately 2 inches of soil covering who knows how many feet of rock. I was forced to hack my way through all of that with a tool resembling a pick axe. It was not fun.











With my sprinklers properly routed and my trench deep enough to accommodate the border stones, It took an evening and the help of the rest of the family to set this border made of recycled ( code for taken from our builders dump pile) sand stone. This part was pretty enjoyable and we made quick work of it. The overall purpose of this border is to keep the gravel pad separated from the lawn. I forgot to factor in Little boys and dump trucks who have now spread gravel all over the back yard.










This is my favorite piece of the whole border. It was fun to work with the different shapes of rocks we had. For the stones we had to modify Becca served as the hammer babe. I would hold the chisle and she would give it a stout whack when needed. She did a great job and I still have all of my fingers. These two stones seemed to be made for one another. Stone Mason? Maybe not.




A lot of my decision to undertake this project during Christmas Break had to do with the knowledge that Ma and Pa Bell were coming. This meant I would have captive labor for about ten days and the price would be right. All I had to do was feed and house these two for a few days and in return I got to work them as hard as I wanted. Thanks for all of your help Ma and Pa. I am sure there will be payback down the road.

The Day the Bell's arrive I had 3 yards of gravel delivered and waiting in the drive way. I just wanted it to be clear when they drove up that this was no ordinary vacation. With the help of our friends the Williamson's, who showed up that night, we moved all of the gravel in no time at all.
All of the kids were there to help and some even got to ride in the wheel barrow.






Day #1 of construction coincided with Becca's first annual Chocolate dipping party. So as the ladies were inside making chocolate miracles, Pa Bell and I were outside leveling the gravel pad, setting the foundation, building the floor and standing up four walls. It was fun work and we made the best of it thanks to the MVT, (most valuable tool) my new set of nail guns. That was the best $100 I have ever spent.




Day #2 was focused on framing the roof. In the face of a doubting father in law. I was brave enough to cut my own rafters. With my trusty speed square and some left over knowledge from my construction days with Canyon Heights, (Thanks Aaron Krikava) things worked out alright.













My buddies were always close by to "Help". Tyler even got to shoot the nail gun, which he thought was really cool.









I had a lot of fun working with Pa Bell. To his credit he probably saved me a ton of time and money just by eliminating or rather illuminating mistakes I was about to make. He never called me an outright Moron but I knew what he was thinking. In this picture he is demonstrating his stellar abilities with a nail gun. He did not even shoot himself.












Construction days 3 and 4 were focused on putting up the siding and installing the trim around the window.
After I got home from work on Day #4 we put the sheathing on the roof and called it a day.
In the next couple of days, between Christmas and all of the other fun stuff we did while Grandma and Grandpa were in town, we managed to put up all of the trim and pretty much complete the job. When Pa Bell left, the only thing I had to do was finish the roofing.



All in all, I think this is the best shed I have ever built. Since this picture was taken I have sealed the floor, installed carpet and padding as well as a bunch of shelves. The clutter in the garage is already much better. The last thing left to do is paint it to match the house. I was planning to do that with the long weekend, but it looks like the weather is not going to cooperate.




Well I hope you have enjoyed MAN BLOG #1. The shed was a fun project and I am sure it will serve us well. Thanks again to all of those who helped.
As for my next project; stone borders for our flower beds, tree wells and the garden. Wish me luck.

Lots of love Mike N.


23 comments:

wildthayn said...

WOW!!! Thanks for the testosterone in our "little blogging world." I showed Jarin and said "Look what Mike built." Maybe we'll be starting a project like that at our house soon as we have the same storage problem and his "man space" really doesn't exist right now. He definitely has shed envy.

BTW, my favorite picture is the last one!!

Bridget said...

Very cool. You better fill that 'man space' soon or I could see the kids turning that into a playhouse.

Hunter Family said...

THAT was hilarious! Way to go, it looks great!

Balser said...

I love your man post! I wish Shawn would write on ours sometimes! (not that he's making a cool shed-we wish! It's hard in a townhome to do manly things-poor Shawn! We can't wait to get a house again!) You did a great job! Are you up for hire? I love that you guys let the inlaws know it'd be a "different" kind of vacation by putting the gravel out front!
April Barrett

Mamamanya said...

Awesome Mike....thanks for the "man blog." David will be finishing our basement soon, so tune in...maybe he'll even do some "man blogging!" Thanks for the great post!!! Your family is too cute :)

The Ramptons said...

Whoa, that was a really long post. Mike, you are amazing. Nice work on the shed it looks spectacular. And way to feel the love of the blog world! Isn't it great? I have two last things to say: 1, you are a lucky guy to have such a hot hammer babe at your side and number two, since you did such a great job on the post, you can be an honorary member of our "you've got boogers" club. Nothin' but love for ya baby.

An amazingly handsome couple with their even more beautiful children, if possible, and their daily adventures. said...

Mike - Amazing! I am truly impressed. It is about time that somebody actually stepped up to the plate and invaded the girls estrogen filled ecstasy. Thanks for the testosterone boost! You've enlightened my night!

Austin

The Thomas Family said...

I guess that was an alright post, for an amateur. Becca has obviously taught you well.
I noticed you even thought of the small details, like changing your your template color. Very impressive.

But, seriously that was really funny. You are a funny guy!

Loved the shed. You are quite the handy man.

Rochelle said...

That is by far the BEST man blog I have EVER seen! Great job. Love the victory picture...you are too cute!

Katie Smith said...

Okay, my Mike says, "it may be a man blog, but he talks just as much as a girl!"

Truthfully though, great post! Humorous and all. It was a little lengthy though...I had to stop half way for a drink break. :)

Oh, and love the last picture. "It's a gun show!" Mr. Man Post.

Megan said...

Funny funny guy... I must admit though I skimmed alot of it and just went for the pictures. VERY IMPRESSIVE work but then again I wouldn't expect any less from you.

An amazingly handsome couple with their even more beautiful children, if possible, and their daily adventures. said...

I hate to tarnish this man blog's comments with a tidbit of info for Becca. I hope the residual estrogen is not enough to do any permanent damage. I wouldn't want to mess up a good thing. Becca, I tagged you on my blog so if you want to check it out for info I'd love it! Andrea

Cassie said...

"Man!" I am Impressed with a capital "I"! Be careful where you flaunt all that testosterone and skill...all us "girls" will have you doing our honey-dos with that kind of talent! It really looks great!

Doug and Jami said...

Hi Becca! Of course I remember you. I'm so glad you left me a note. Your family has grown as well and the kids are beautiful. We love it here in Vancouver. Doug's glad to finally be a driver but now we're working on getting him transferred up here. The commute to Tualatin is awful. Did I read somewhere that you're in San Antonio? How do you like it there? How much longer do you plan on being there? This October we're taking a trip down there to visit the Walker's. We should all get together sometime.

I should have Doug read Mike's blog, maybe it will give him inspiration to start work on our backyard.:)

Hope to hear from you soon.

what kind of a name is abra said...

Mike- you really can do it all, what a guy. If food and shelter are all you need for a project like that, we'll kick the kids to the curb and feed you for weeks, come on home!!!!! I wrote a little story on my blog--girly pink blog- about my recent trip to the dentist--you'll enjoy it!

The Thomas Family said...

Wow! 15 comments for your man blog. Not bad. I think our record is 11. You guys have some major blogging buddies. You must be loved.

Rachael said...

Mike, It is so great to hear from you . I love the manly post. You really went to town with the shed, I am way impressed. Keep up the manly blogs. We love it!

what kind of a name is abra said...

Mike--I love you. When are you coming......

Hall Family said...

wow.. man blow was really 'dude-ish' i luv'd the muscle pic at the end.. it really was a great way to end a man blog. ;0

Mel said...

Wow, that's the longest man blog I have ever seen. Great job Mike! What a cool shed!

pam said...

Micheal, you rock! Your talents wow and amaze me. I about laughed my butt off with you and your stud pose, oh the memories. I love you buddy and thanks for the infusion of testosterone.

Siouxsie said...

That is insanely awesome!! It looks so good back there. If we had a little more yard, I'd want one too. I hope you guys are enjoying getting settled into life, especially with your new puppy. :)

maplebar said...

nice work neilson! i might have to hire you back!

Aaron