Sunday, January 25, 2009

Church Bench




My parents gave Mike and I this church pew several years ago when they moved from their house on Florence out to the orchard. This pew was in the chapel that my Dad gew up attending in Idaho Falls. Sometime after his mission they remodeled the chapel and sold off these old pews for dirt cheap. My Dad acquired two of them. They are a great memory for me. There is a slot on the back side for a hymn book. I remember that the Easter Bunny always hid an egg there. I can see exactly where they sat in that house on Florence street. Anyway, we have been very happy to have this one in our home. It has been in desperate need of a refinishing job though. I took it out of the house in August and started to sand it down but quickly lost interest. It was harder than I thought it was going to be. There were many layers of old varnish. A couple of weeks ago my friend Becca encouraged me to get it done. I decided I was going to have it done in a week. Why the heck was I being so lazy? Well, it took me two weeks but it's done and I am quite happy with the finished project.

11 comments:

Siouxsie said...

That really looks so nice in your living room; gives it a very nice look. Good job on getting it done!

Lisa said...

The bench looks fabulous! And, as always, your home looks incredible and spotless and the bench fits right in. Good job Handy Becca!

Melissa-Mc said...

That looks great! Who would have thought?

Scott-n-Allison said...

If he purchased two, than where is the other one? I want it! It would go perfectly in my entry.

Katie Smith said...

I love that bench! It looks so great all refinished and distressed. Nice work handy-sis.

Grace said...

i love the bench it looks great! are you into collecting antiques as well? Wes' Mom has an old Church bench that she picked up at an antique show in eastern oregon..looks really neat.

Rich Vial said...

This is the kind of stuff that makes a house a home!

Bridget said...

That is very cool!

Tonya said...

I LOVE it! You did a great job of restoring it. I really love that you have a piece of real life history sitting in your living room:0)

Kat Rose said...

I love to see that bench! it makes me want to spit in your eye!!

Cristi said...

it looks awesome! you have such a good eye for decoratin!